housemates; me, s, h, k, s and cheryl.The house was dark as I gathered my things together to leave Afghanistan. My visit had come to a close and in a way that no one could have ever imagined. Cheryl would have arrived back home while I was there, instead the day before we received news that she was found murdered along with the rest of her team as they had trekked out of a remote region in Afghanistan providing medical care. In the general region that I, myself, had hiked in 7 years before. How could this be? How could the villagers let this happen? How could God let this happen to her, to any of them? So many questions flooded my mind as I tried, along with her other housemates, to grapple with this news. The answers would not come easily. Only one thing would...tears.
As the first few days passed the evidence only confirmed our, let alone her family's, worst fears. So many tears. Shock. No words. Sleepless night. And it begins again. As I slowly packed my suitcase with the few remaining things that I had left here in Kabul from the time of my cancer diagnosis, memories of our times together as the 'chic chalet' flooded my mind, spilling smiles and tears with each memory. The infamous 'hall of chadars (veils)' that strewn the entry way welcomed many a guest of us all. Times together where we would gather in the kitchen, songs blaring, and all cook together. Laughter that was like medicine to our souls preceded others soon joining us to share in our simple feast. Games of volleyball when this hard land seemingly disappeared beneath our feet as we made another ace for our team. And then there were the quiet times between us all. Times to share and lift one another up in prayer. I had only 'lived' in this house for about 9 months, but those 9 months were like a cool suave to my tired soul. I was so exhausted in every way and these girls were like a gift from God to me; encouraging, inspiring, exhorting, and just plain fun to be around.
Then there was Cheryl. A quiet yet deep thinker with a love for God that was evident to all who knew her. She was my housemate. Her smile, her laugh and her manner are etched in my mind. A smile that welcomed and warmed my heart and a personality that could make most laugh. We both shared a love of worship along with several in the house. I loved to sit and listen to her worship God, playing her guitar across the hall. I would often sit in my doorframe, close my eyes and just enjoy the moments listening to her while being reminded one again of God's grace, love and presence in this place that often seemed so harsh to live in. She was a constant reminder to me of finding strength in faith, in her walk with the Lord. And I greeted that reminder every morning across from my room....gladly. I deeply respected her and her quiet, humble walk with her Lord. I also admired her love of the Afghans she served and worked with. I had spent many years filling my days with times spent with Afghans, as had Cheryl. I knew all too well the kind of all encompassing energy that that called for. She continually gave of herself from a well of strength not from herself. She was a walking reminder to me to not lean into my own strength, but His...daily.
Walking into her room over the last couple days, I still could not believe the reality of the horrific events that led to her sudden death. But as I sat on her bed and prayed and remembered her in this place, my gaze landed on a quote on an old piece of paper tucked into the corner of her mirror. A quote, that quite possibly she saw and recited in her mind almost every morning as she got ready for her day and all the unseen events that would fill it. And in reading it...God brought an element of His peace into my heart. The morning of her death, the day she would meet her Father in Heaven....did she recite these words? I want to believe she did.
O God...
Fortify me
For the unexpected
And the unexplained.
Amid the things that change
Keep clear and dear
To me
The things that remain.
Give me faith
To face the future
Unafraid
In the knowledge
That nothing can separate me
From Your love.
-John M. Dreshcer
Somehow, for however long, He was preparing her for the horrific events that would bring her to meet her Saviour. So even in this horrible event, He was with her. And somewhere down the road, we'll see something beautiful that will come out of her death. This I am sure of.
Cheryl, your work is done. You are with the Father, walking on those beautiful green pastures....besides quiet waters. We will carry on His work and walk with Him here till we see Him and you, face to face. I look forward to that day greatly. Goodbye Cheryl. I'll miss you.
6 comments:
Beautifully written Stacy. I love you.
Ditto exactly to Tammy. Praying for you and all that loved her and those of her team, often. So excited to one day meet her in those green pastures:)
Thank you for sharing your heart and story of Cheryl. May you find God's ever-present help in this time of trouble. We love you.
I hardly know you except from seeing you at the cornerstone women's retreat a couple of years ago. i'm so sorry for your loss. thank you for sharing so vividly and vulnerably.
Oh Stacy,
I'm so sorry for your loss and for the loss of what sounds like such a wonderful friend and person.
I too believe that her death and that of the others is going to be used in a way to bring glory to His name.
May we all be inspired to place our lives in His hands the same way she did and follow His calling, guiding & leading.
Love you.
Stacy, you share so much love and I know that your heart is breaking. Isn't it good that we have an amazing God who loves and cares? Bless you!
Post a Comment