Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Happy for Water issues

I moved into my own little place on the top of a big hill, yesterday the 7th. Apartment #7, the "Smiling face" building. I was pretty 'smiley faced' to be able to move in...even with no gas hook up, no way to wash things (ok, except hand wash), no hot water...and wondering what this new place would bring me. So, heading into the night...I climbed into bed, said some prayers, and drifted off to sleep.

I awoke quite early to what seems to be a theme this week....WATER, seeping in through my windows. It was pouring outside. At times, looking like sheets plummeting towards Earth from Heaven. Something woke me up (um, GOD!?) and soon I was up at the window standing in a puddle of water. It was early in the morning, so instead of waking my landlord up, I thought that I would 'take care of it' and try to mop up the water until it was a bit later (like after 8am). 2 hours and several huge drenched towels later...I called someone to help contact my landlord.

In the meantime, while I was waiting for a response from my Turkish friend, with a respite in the rain....I headed down to the center of my area to change some money. Little did I know (until later) that the news had cancelled all schools for today and had predicted floods throughout the city. So, we encountered actual rivers running down the streets. It was quite comical watching people try to cross the streets and deal with the IMMENSE amount of water running down the hills. Some people got pretty creative wrapping plastic bags over their feet and wading through the up to 2 feet of water in the streets.
yup, that's water coming out of the manholes in both pictures. the drainage systems just couldn't handle the amount of water flowing from the hills.
Our taxi driver, upon my friend getting back into the car drenched from her quick outing to the bank, quizzically asked with a smile....'Is it raining out there?'. We all instantly started laughing. A connection, through a mini trail.

When we returned to my place, my landlord was already here waiting for the 'usta' (professional) to take a look at my window water issue. Within 20 minutes they had assessed the situation, the professional taking his own view (of where the water came from) while my landlord taking my observations of what happened (since I saw it!). Wow, a man standing behind my word in cultures like these, is significant. So far, my landlord is stacking up some points! He also seems very much like a man of honor and respect. I wonder what plans God has for him...and what I am to learn from this family. I have asked God for a family covering in this place (specifically since I'm a single woman). Who knows, maybe this family could be an answer to that prayer. Only time will tell.

So after a week of water occurrences; new washing machine flooding my apartment, along with the above happenings...I'm ready for some dry weather days. But I am grateful for the people that God has brought my way through these recent events and how they have warmed my heart for the people of this place. Ironic, isn't it?! That's how life is...I guess. Looking forward, we are often overwhelmed. Looking back, we are often blessed beyond what we could have expected.

p.s. come back soon for more posting on my place!

3 comments:

Leanna said...

I love that you are able to look back and see the blessings. Talking to Him for you...and knowing He will take care of all things.
Stay dry :o)
Leanna

Linda G - Cornerstone said...

Loved reading your blog this morning. So happy that you are back in the land you love, connecting with old friends and making new ones. Love you girl.

Unknown said...

Holy freaking cow, that's a lot of water in those streets. WOW! But it sounds like, with all things, God made it work for you. :) Yay! I'm loving your blog!!!!!!