
Last year she dragged me to the track lined with booths of sponsors and luminaries in honor or memory of those that have been taken by cancer. As we walked that survivor lap, she wept. I didn't understand her journey, though I wanted to walk next to her as she experienced even her darkest hour as she watched her twin through cancer treatment.
This year I dragged her. The event, Relay for Life. So at 10:15 am on April 25th, my sister, another friend who was my chemo singing buddy, and I walked around that track to 'high five' life itself. And to say to cancer...we're still here and still walking. So until a cure is found...we'll walk that track.
At the end of the event...I was the one weeping. Grieving for the lives that cancer has taken and those that are the throws of battling it now. Courtney, Bethany, Lisa, Jim, Sandy...and so many others. But to bring joy into my day today, God let my path cross with a teenager (an infant 14 years ago) that I took care of 14 years ago and his mom. Although all of his treatments have taken a toll on his little body, he is doing well now and fully enjoying life! He had less then a 5% chance of surviving...and is a walking example that research pays off and that God hears our many prayers.
High five to life!

Only those who will risk going too far can possible find out how far one can go. --T.S. Eliot
1 comment:
Tears for all the good memories,.. who would have thought that this journey with cancer would net you (and me) so many great new friendships, life experiences and amazing perspective?! You have such a gift of writing,... the world is wiser and more inspired because you write about it.... keep on writing! :)
5 months and counting until we can high five again, in a sea of thousands and thousands of face! Race for the Cure here we come!!! :)
Post a Comment