a labyrinth of shops that i used to be afraid of traveling through, until i found a storekeeper that helped me find what i needed. it seems like i've made my way back to that little shop in afghanistan hundreds of times since then. It's Saturday night and I'm delaying doing the inevitable. I'm procrastinating doing my homework. I just joined a small group with a church that I am now attending in Chico. They just started meeting last weekend. They came with 'life maps' in hand...displaying their life up until now. Thus, helping us all get to know each other better. So, since I'm back in town this week...I'll join them as we continue to learn more about each other.
So, what's the big deal you might ask? Well, putting my life on paper...let alone ONE piece of paper seems almost daunting. How in the world can I sum my life up on a map. This thought takes me back to Afghanistan when I was packing to return to the States after my visit this fall. I then asked, how to you pack a lifetime of memories in a suitcase?
What would your life look like if you had to draw it out on ONE paper? Would it take the shape of a puzzle, a board game, a word map, a mosaic,...?
In some ways, my life as seemed more like a board game, full of many detours and passes I'd never would never purposefully taken or even dared imagined. So maybe this is the underlying hesitation in writing a book...where to start, what to say, how to begin. And in this case, what to draw. :)
One thing I am absolutely sure about...I'm glad that many of you have been part of that adventure, whatever it looks like.
1 comment:
Working on a life map at this point may be an excellent exercise! I have one that needs to be updated--I seem to get to it every five years. (So the print gets smaller and smaller...)
Love you!
Post a Comment