Tuesday, October 28, 2008

A Grand Miracle

A Grand Miracle

As we flew into Kabul, the sights appeared to me as if I had never left. A wide dusty valley expanse filled with millions of clay and mud homes, cozied in on all sides by majestic mountains. Although before we even boarded the plane in Dubai, I was keenly aware that the land that I was about to enter had changed much. Our plane was filled with local men and much less foreigners than usual. Once we landed, the usual bustle of people in and around the airport was strangely quiet. As I departed the airport property and headed towards the taxi lot, to meet my own taxi driver from years gone by, I was shocked to see the amount of men sitting around just staring at me as I walked by. I kept my head down, hoping that my own taxi driver would somehow recognize me through all of my layers of coverings.

And...he did. :)

One minute he was not besides me...the next minute he was. Head down, voice quiet, hands clasped traditionally behind his back...he softly greeted me while never looking my way. I had to refrain myself from turning in absolute glee to greet him. These are different times and I in no way wanted to compromise his safety by showing the whole world of taxi's waiting that he knew this foreigner. So we walked with few words until we arrived at his car. Once inside his car, and out of site from the rest of the taxi driver population, our conversation hardly rested until I arrived at my destination.

I had finally arrived. Finally. It had been a long year, one full of memories as I often thought of this place and it's people. And wonderings of how my afghan friends and family were doing.

Yesterday, I was invited to join this taxi drivers family for lunch. They have been and are like my own family here. I have known the kids since they were little as I used to live across the path from them. It was wonderful to see them, enjoy a meal together, while being ever-so-thankful to God who is stronger than any cancer diagnosis. Six hours later, I left their house to return another day. And so it has been the last several days. Reunion upon reunion with many locals that thought that I was leaving to die. Faces that show the love of dear friends reunited after a year of uncertainties for us all. And now to return, well and healthy is just a miracle.

Or as one local put it...not just a miracle, but a Grand Miracle.



"Z" looking at pictures from my sisters wedding


A picture of Z and me :) (it is cultural for her not to smile in pictures.  Her smiles in real life are bright and beautiful!)

At sunset...beautiful!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

this post makes me very sad and very happy all at the same time. i love it. send my salaam's.

Rosa said...

Your heart comes through.

groove1950 said...

we are thrilled you are back amongst your friends. What a blessing. May God give you wonderful times together. I will see you soon if you are there on the 9th Nov. GSG

Unknown said...

F is also one of the grand miracles of your life there! Hearing about your quiet meeting with him reminds me that you are just like his daughter, and also pulled up those memories of him following you like a shadow everywhere we went last summer.:) Z looks like a regular pre-teen, wow, how she has grown in one year. Of course she'd love those pictures.:) So good to chat with you today,... so glad to walk these days with you through your updates.
So much love to you,
lisa

Anonymous said...

The Proclamation of His Goodness is so evident in your life and I love reading about it! You bring me to tears! :)

civic musings said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
civic musings said...

rejoicing with you in the triumphs of his love for you and those whom he pursues. btw, happy new life birthday. dk

Sally said...

Glad for the time you have there. It seems more normal. :)

Jeannine said...

I have just finished reading your blog postings and I am smiling and have a peaceful feeling at the moment. You are one remarkable woman who God has used and will continue to use as He shines through you. Much love and prayers from Canada.

Anonymous said...

Yipee! So glad to hear about how the trip is going for you. I can feel how epic and surreal the experience must be. I love how you said that home is a state of being more than a location. I think that realizing and accepting that is the beginning of a whole new way of life. I can't wait to have coffee with you and hear about all this in person.

Karen

Rita said...

I salute you dear Stacy!!! Thinking of you! Sent you an email as I am in sunny South Africa at the moment ... a bit of a sad time for me!